Saturday, January 13, 2018

Unknown

RUNAWAY FIRE EATS UP 150 SHACKS!

MORE than 400 people in zone 31 of Joe Slovo squatter camp in Langa, Cape Town, lost everything when a fire destroyed more than 150 shacks on Monday night. 
The body of an unknown person who was burnt to death was found when residents began clearing the rubbish.
“I had to be at work early in the morning but now I’m here trying to rebuild my shack,” said Ntomboxolo Msalela (41). 
She said her shack was her home for more than 10 years. “We lost everything in the fire, including stationery and our kids’ uniforms. We need help.” 
Buntu Mcako (31) rushed home to confirm the bad news and was met by ash. 
“I didn’t believe my ears when my neighbour told me that my shack had been destroyed. I was looking after my children at their mum’s house far from here.” 
Ward 52 Councillor Samkelo John said it’s painful and difficult for residents. 
“Some had already bought school uniforms and stationery for their kids. Now they will have to start all over again and some need more money.” 
He said he had already asked government departments to assist the community. 
Hlumisa Ngcingo (43) said: “After the fire we were forced to sleep outside since we don’t have anywhere to go. We had to start a fire so that we could be warm at night.”
Fire and Rescue spokesman Theo Layne said: “At about 10.30pm we arrived at zone 31 where about 159 structures were destroyed by fire. About 400 people were left homeless. 
“There are emergency shelters at a community centre in zone 23.” 
Police spokesman Sinathi Joni said: “The circumstances of the fire are being investigated

Unknown

About Unknown -

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :