Sunday, October 29, 2017

Unknown

GATVOL OF OUR SINGLE ROOM

Lulama Lungani and gogo Ida Vubela with granddaughter Nomaxabiso Lungani, holding little Lunje Lungani, and Nokwaka Lungani, her daughter. 

GOGO Ida Vubela is struggling to look after her 16 kids and grandchildren in a single rented flat.
The 87-year-old from KwaZakhele, Port Elizabeth says she lives in misery because an RDP in Silvertown kasi that was supposed to go to her was sold to someone else.
“I bought a stand in Silvertown in 1994 for R1 000. In 1997, we were told to register our names for RDP houses and I followed all the processes,” she said.
“In 2008 we were told to register again and my reference number was changed.
“When my shack burned down in 2010, my councillor wouldn’t let me rebuild it and I was told I was being moved to Joe Slovo. That was when I moved into this flat.”
The gogo said they had only two beds and most of her grandchildren slept on the floor. There is no privacy in the house. “My kids can only find piece jobs and it only covers the cost of food,” she said.
Gogo Ida’s granddaughter Lulama Lungani (36) said they tried to rebuild their shack many times but the community prevented them.
The stand was allegedly eventually given to another man. “We were told my gogo was on the waiting list but they refused to show us the proof. We are sick of living in a single room and appeal to mayor Athol Trollip to save us,” she said.
The mayor’s spokesman Sibongile Dimbaza said the municipality couldn’t help the family.
“We have discovered fraud and corruption in the RDP housing scheme but responsibility for it has been taken away from us and given to the national office. We have no power to act.”

Unknown

About Unknown -

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :